Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Questions

My office shares a building with other businesses. One of these businesses is owned by a chain smoker. I know this because our building is old and every time he lights up the duct work sends it right to my desk. I tried to talk to the individual, but it is not really one of those pleasant conversations, and needless to say, it went nowhere. After weeks of headaches, I had invested in a powerful air filter, as well as many candles.
I recently ran into the gentleman in the hallway, where he informed me that they would be vacating the space at the end of the year, due to the fact that he has been diagnosed with several types of cancer. I expressed my sympathies, to which he replied, "bah. somethings bound to kill you anyway, right?" From the telltale aroma in the duct work, he was still smoking after our conversation.
This has all left me baffled. Had he given up, and thus decided not to quit smoking? Was he undergoing treatment, and continuing to smoke? Why? My admittedly conservative upbringing is screaming at him for being so wasteful with his life. There are so many things to see and do and enjoy, why would you shortchange yourself? Granted, this man is little more than a stranger to me, so I do not know what type of life he has led, but this did make my mind wander.

If you knew that your time here was short, what would you do?Anything outstanding on the list? And if you already know it's on the list, what is keeping you from doing it right now? My own answers may be standard; most of what keeps me from my list is money. But maybe I would save more prudently if I knew I only had an allotment of time.

Have a drink at a pub in Ireland.
Dive the Great Barrier Reef.
Take obligatory picture "holding up" the leaning tower of Pisa.
Finally meet the relatives in Sicily face to face.
Go camping (of course I've been camping, but its been awhile)

No comments:

Post a Comment